Recent Water Damage Posts
Call SERVPRO Before Filing A Claim
For a Free Inspection Please Call (619) 435-0365
SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW/Coronado is happy to provide free inspections for possible water damage. Working with all major insurance companies we have found that even if a client doesn't end up pursuing a claim, there is a chance it will still stay on your record as "filing a claim."
There are many times a client believes the damage is greater than what it really is and vice versa. Our free inspections are meant to provide information so that the client and insurance agent can determine if one should file a claim. Listed below is a review from a client who didn't end up filing a claim.
"We had a leak in our children's room and I had no idea what to do or how to go about getting someone to fix it. Called SERVPRO, Johnny came out free of charge to assess the damage. He identified the source of the leak and even made sure I understood what needed to be done. Very grateful to them and the piece of mind they provided me!"
Water Heater Causes Water Damage In San Diego Ca
SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW/Coronado responded to a water damage call caused by a Water Heater in the garage.
Most water heaters last between 10-13 years, and if one is leaking from the bottom of the tank inside the burner compartment, old age might be the cause. This is caused by years of sediment building up in the bottom of the water heater tank. Eventually, the bottom of the tank will rust through and begin to leak.
Avoid Water Heater Failure With These 4 Steps
- Check your water heater’s age. If your water heater reaches its life expectancy, the risk of a slow leak or sudden burst increases. Consequently, your efforts to inspect and maintain the water heater should increase.
- What is an anode rod and why should you care? A “sacrificial” anode rod is installed in water heaters to avoid corrosion of the tank. To determine if your anode rod needs to be replaced, it should be inspected once every two years and at least annually once the warranty has expired.
- Clean out your water heater regularly. Regular water heater maintenance should include removing sediment by flushing the tank every six months. Water heaters can be flushed by attaching a garden hose to the valve at the base of the water heater. Note: Turn off the power and run hot water until it cools before you try to flush the tank since the heated water may be 130 to 140 degrees or more.
- Get an inspection annually. Don’t forget to have a plumbing professional inspect your water heater’s shut-off valve and all piping annually. Signs of broken valves and loose or wet joints and rust are a signal that more severe damage is coming.
Have Questions? Please Call (619) 435-0365
Water Damage Caused By Supply Line
We are open 24/7 for your Water Cleanup & Restoration Emergencies. (619) 435-0365
Water Damage can occur at anytime throughout the day or night. This Coronado homeowner walked downstairs to find a water supply line had malfunctioned while the family was sleeping.
The Latest Coronado News
SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW/Coronado arrived within an hour of getting the call to begin extracting. We were able to provide a pack out service for their personal belongings while the home was being worked on. The homeowner was thrilled and was nice enough to write us a testimonial on his experience.
"The team did a great job! Very thorough and professional! Would highly recommend them and already have. In an emergent situation, they responded quickly and knew exactly how to handle the water damage. They were there through the entire process and always available. 100% satisfied!"
24/7 Emergency Services
Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration
24/7 Emergency Service (619) 435-0365
SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW / Coronado is happy to share another 5 Star Google Review. This water damage emergency was caused by a fire sprinkler malfunctioning on a Sunday evening.
"SERVPRO was a pleasure to hire. We called last minute with a water damage emergency and were taken care of that same day. As a building renter and not owner, it was tough to get things rolling to take care of the water damage, but SERVPRO was accommodating and helpful in getting things started as fast as possible. The job was fast, efficient and professional. They cleaned up after themselves and as they went along. They worked very well with our insurance company and documented everything. If you are looking for good help, SERVPRO is the company to go with. I can not say enough good things about this company. They will be used again if we are ever in need."
After Hours Water Damage Coronado
Have Questions? Call Us Today-(619) 435-0365
A sewer main line back up in Coronado, Ca caused an unpleasant evening for this resident.
SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW/Coronado received this call at 7:15 last Thursday evening and we had a crew out to this residence 45 minutes later. This was a Category 3 water loss, which is known as "black water" and is grossly unsanitary.
Categories of Water
Due to this being a Category 3 water loss all affected porous material needed to be removed. This included vinyl and laminate flooring, baseboards and plaster around the perimeter of the affected areas.
SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW/Coronado is a preferred vendor for all major insurance companies, including USAA, which is the insurance carrier on this particular job.
We are locally owned and operated and are open 24/7 for any of your water damage emergencies.
Helping Detect Water Damage
24/7 Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration
The past few decades has seen a rapid advancement in the technology and techniques used in the restoration industry.
These advancements allow SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW/Coronado Professionals to restore a property back to a preloss condition quickly, reliably, and more effectively.
The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) sets practical standards for restoration and cleaning.
Listed below are a few examples of the advanced technology we use here at SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW/Coronado
- Moisture Meters-used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials.
- Infrared Camera- used to identify water location for thorough water removal
- Extractors-used in cleaning carpets and upholstery and in removing water from floors following a water damage.
Air Moving Equipment:
- Air Movers- used at a high speed, the air movers cause moisture to evaporate at a faster pace.
- Dehumidifiers- By extracting water vapor from the air, dehumidifiers lower the humidity. They pull the moist, humid air in and discharge dry, warm air. The dry air acts like a sponge, absorbing moisture from wet materials.
Odor Removal and Deodorization:
- Air scrubbers- Remove airborne contaminants and control the air quality during the restoration and cleanup process.
- Thermal Foggers and Deodorization agents: Used to remove odors and/or contaminants on your property.
SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW/Coronado is here to help. 619-435-0365
Water Damage Insurance Claim
Have Water or Flood Damage? Call Us Today-
SERVPRO of San Diego Bay SW/Coronado works with all major insurance companies and is a preferred vendor for major companies, such as State Farm, Farmers and AAA.
We understand the stress that comes with a water damage claim and we do everything in our power to make it as smooth as possible. Listed below is a Five Star Google review from a State Farm agent, whose clients we have helped out over this past year.
"I have been working with SERVPRO for almost a year now. Every time one of our clients works with them we hear the same response "WOW". Not only do they go in fast and repair what to some people is the worst damage they have seen in their home, but they make our clients feel better and are there for support. They make the worst day into a hopeful one. Greatly recommend their service to anyone in need. Johnny has been amazing to all our clients because he is friendly, honest and empathetic with them. Thank you!"
Contaminated Water Damage San Diego
Have Water or Flood Damage? Call Us Today – (619) 435-0365
We prepared a list of things you should do and should not do in a contaminated water situation.
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW proudly serves San Diego, Coronado, Imperial Beach, National City and surrounding areas. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for Fire and Water Damage Restoration, as well as Mold Mitigation Services.
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (619) 435-0365
Water Damage San Diego
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW is available 24/7/365. Call us today for a free inspection.
When most people experience a water damage loss the first thing they do is contact their insurance agent. Once SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW arrives, we will explain to you step by step on what to expect next. The list below is of what to do and not to do before SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW arrives.
- Shut off the source of water if possible
- Turn off the circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe to access
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazard may exist
- Leave books, newspaper, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors
Water Damage in San Diego Ca 92154
Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today – (619) 435-0365
This is a laundry room in San Diego, Ca that sustained significant water damage due to a malfunctioning hose.
A multi-company and multi-region study of homeowners’ insurance claims from water damage revealed:
- Washing machine-related failures are one of the top 10 leading sources of residential water losses.
- These failures cost an average of $5,308 per incident after the deductible was paid.
- Failures of supply hoses accounted for more than half of all washing machine-related losses.
- Of the water supply hose failures resulting in water loss claims, 78% involved washing machines that were less than 11 years old. Of these failures, 54% occurred in washing machines between 8 and 10 years old.
- Approximately 6% of all washing machine failures occurred in unoccupied homes.
- Failures that occurred in unoccupied homes resulted in claims that were on average nearly two-and-a-half times more severe than those occurring in occupied homes.
Water Heater Burst San Diego Ca
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW
This is a review from a customer who was referred to SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW by her Farmers Insurance Agent.
"I was beyond thrilled with SERVPRO. My water heater burst and flooded my sons room and my storage room. I had never dealt with water damage before and had never filed a homeowners claim before. They really helped walk me through the process, what my options were, and helped me make informed decisions. They were very responsive, always on time and provided a great service. Everyone I interacted with was so professional and helpful. So appreciative for all their help."
We were able to pack out the contents in her sons room and have a storage pod delivered to her home. Once the dry out was completed we moved her belongings back inside and completed the job.
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW provides free inspections if you suspect water damage.
(619) 435-0365 (24/7 Office)
Coronado Water Damage Review
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW provides free water damage inspections. Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today – (619) 435-0365
Every two months or so, SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW will choose a review to post on our blog. You can also visit our testimonial page to see what other clients have said about working with SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW.
This review is from Karl of Coronado, Ca.
"Late on a Sunday afternoon my downstairs was flooded with water and raw sewage from an apparent blockage in the city sewer system. Within one hour of calling Scott Tomsey at SERVPRO Coronado he and his team were already at work removing all water and contaminates and rescuing my property from further damage. Their quick response and action allowed me to stay in my home while repairs are being made to restore my property to its previous condition, which would not have been possible without their timely response and hard work on a Sunday night."
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW
Reasons for using SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW for Professional Water Damage Restoration:
When a flood or any other water related event occurs like a broken supply line, drainage leak or a damaged water heater, it's necessary for you to act quickly by getting professional flood restoration services. Cleaning up water damage involves more than just drying and wiping the residue away.
Delaying makes the damage worse because the water will seep into the walls, furnishings, floors, and this may result in mildew and mold growth.
Water mitigation can be devastating to any residential or commercial property, but when one gets professional services from the certified technicians at SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW, you can be assured it is being handled properly.
Water damage mitigation
Water in a home or water in a business can cause damage like oxidation of metal (rust), rotting wood, composite building materials delamination, and microbial growth. If water cleanup and the drying process isn’t started immediately, the stability of the structure can be compromised.
The first thing to consider when you have a flooded home or business is safety. The first assessment made will be if there are any risks posed to anyone in the home or business due to the water damage. The next step is locating the cause of the problem (be it a pipe leak, supply line break or broken water heater, etc.) and correcting the source of the intrusion.
Depending on the cause of loss, SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW will be able to work with the proper third party to stop the source of the water intrusion. After assessing the water damage, SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW will follow the IICRC standards for mitigating the loss in the affected home or business. These services will be handled by our licensed and trained water cleanup professionals.
Preventing mold and mildew
In case you have experienced mildew or mold after water in home or water in business, you know how hard it is to get rid of the problem. Prompt water and flood damage restoration can reduce the chances of mold growth.
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW will assist you in dealing directly with your insurance company. We will gather a list of the needed repairs and proof of damages to provide to the insurance company.
Having one qualified company for the entire process can save time and keep costs low. We can provide this continuity by supervising a full range of restoration services that will bring a building back to full functionality.
Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today – (619) 435-0365
Helpful Tips in Preventing Mold Growth
If You See Signs of Mold,
Call SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW today- (619) 435-0365
- Keep humidity levels in your home as low as you can—no higher than 50%--all day long. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help you keep the level low. You can buy a meter to check your home’s humidity at a home improvement store. Humidity levels change over the course of a day so you will need to check the humidity levels more than once a day.
- Be sure the air in your home flows freely. Use exhaust fans that vent outside your home in the kitchen and bathroom. Make sure your clothes dryer vents outside your home.
- Fix any leaks in your home’s roof, walls, or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow.
- Clean up and dry out your home fully and quickly (within 24–48 hours) after a flood.
- Clean bathrooms with mold-killing products.
- Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and cannot be dried right away.
- To learn more about preventing mold in your home, see the Environmental Protection Agency’s book A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home at
Customer Testimonial on Water Damage Incident
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW Testimonial
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW wanted to share another review from one of our previous clients. Please feel free to read other reviews on the testimonial section of our website.
"It's very rare for me to write a review, but when I encounter the outstanding service that I received from Scott and his team at SERVPRO, I feel that it warrants the time.
My upstairs neighbor had a water leak, which ended up coming through my ceiling, damaging my drywall and soaking the wood frame. I had no idea what steps needed to be taken or where to begin. Both my insurance agent and my neighbors highly recommended SERVPRO, and I can see why. They not only walked me through the entire process, exceeding their services, they also helped me to arrange for the drywall and painting. Their service was impeccable, they always gave a very tight window of when they would show up, and were never late. They were quick, friendly, clean, officiant, they listened to me and were extremely reassuring. I give them a solid 10!"
Myia B in San Diego, CA
Water Damage Timeline
Faster to any size disaster
SERVPRO of Coronado / San Diego Bay SW prides itself in being faster to any size disaster. Listed below is a timeline showing reasons why an immediate response helps minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration cost.
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Have Questions? Call Us Today – (619) 435-0365